Friday, January 14, 2011

What can I DO to help?

This is the question that has been repeating over and over in my head for the past week as a result of these cruel floods.  How can I make a difference in someone's life that is currently shattered?  How can I lighten their load?  How can I make them smile again?  

I think the most obvious thing one could do it to help physically.  Get in there and clean up the mess.  Help them regain order in their home.  

But what if I don't have the time?  (stupid work)

So I have been trying to think out of the box.  I considered joining in with the Craft Auctions over at make it perfect.  I even thought of just giving money to the Premier's Appeal.

Then my thoughts went to the children affected.  What an awful childhood memory to have.  The day your house went under water and you didn't have time to take your treasured possessions with you when you were whisked out of the house.  It must be so frightening for a child to go through something like that.  

And that's where I got my idea.  I don't know where I am going to go with this idea right now, but I suppose I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in helping out in this way.  

Sewing softies for children.  

I'm not a very good sewer yet, so I thought maybe this is something that I would be successful with if I kept it simple.  
It is something quick and simple that could make the world of difference for a child.


What do you think??
Interested??



Christy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful idea!! I for one would love to make a few softies as a contribution...I have seen the quilt bees happening but don't feel quite confident attempting something like that yet.
Please count me in :)

x

Dianne said...

They look fantastic! If only I had more hours in the day - I've already done so much sewing in the last few days for my Flood Relief Auction that I'm a little burnt out. But I guess they will be needing things like this for a long time to come. Do you have patterns for these guys?

Jane said...

Hi Christy A fab idea. Head over to sweet Steph at Mon petit poppet who is coordinating exactly what you have suggested (http://monpetitpoppet.blogspot.com/2011/01/hope-softies.html). J x

monkeemoomoo said...

Hi Christy, I just read your comment on retromummy's blog. It lead me to you. I am organising a Dolly Drive to do this very thing. And am still not sure where we will send them. It seems like you could maybe help. You can read more on my blog. I'd love to know what you think.

http://www.monkeemoomoo.blogspot.com/

Photography said...

Great minds think alike hey?!! I think this is a good idea.

Lisa said...

Love the idea!!!!
oh and these are CUTE! Im only a beginner sewer as well and hope to master softie making well just sewing in general.
hugs
xo