Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Disasters, dye & doily's.

Well I'm back home again after the completion of the painting of our house.  When I returned home last Friday night I expected to be amazed.  Let's just say I am less then impressed at the quality of the paint job.  I could have done better, and I certainly wouldn't have gauged the wall each time I moved my ladder... but it's not my problem.  

So my craft room unpacking is getting there.  I decided to use the experience to re-do my room again.  I can't craft on a trussle table forever.  Here is what I came home to...

And after a few attempts to re-arrange, and then after a day today of focusing on finishing up as best as I can (because once again it's a temporary setup until we pick up the new table), this is what I've come up with.  

This is my husbands old study desk.  Husby and I had a great idea in our heads to use this and put the desk hutch on it, and get rid of the desk it used to be on.  The idea was better in our heads.  I have half the room, and hate it!  So luckily for me I remembered my Nan has this giant sturdy table she is trying to get rid of.  So we will be going to pick the table up soon.  Will probably keep the hutch on, but both desks I think will be going.  

This desk will go.  The table from nanna's will go along this wall like the trussle table used to.  Sigh.  Forever work in progress.  I borrowed the bedside table from mum and dad to store my patterned papers and cardboard in the meantime.  The paper will eventually go into a set of drawers that my husbands clothes are living in.  We are getting a new bedroom suite at some stage this year and will get the drawers then.  

Is everyone's craft room a work in progress and mess like mine is??  I have no idea how I want it.  Every time I get an idea, I end up not liking it!!!  Oh well.

Onto dye & doilies.

Over the past two days I have been soaking my doilies in Nappy-San and they look fantastic.  There were a few with rust stains, and i dabbed them with some bleach and all but one came up good.  I don't know what I'm going to do about the one with rust just yet.  While I was dabbing away and rinsing doily's I was thinking about playing around with dying them.  I also remembered that I had some black fabric dye under the laundry basin.  So I pulled it out and mixed up some dye in a bucket and had some fun.  

The one on the left I put in the dye for 2 mins, the middle one for 5 mins, and the small one on the right I just dipped it in for a few seconds.  I love how they all ended up being shades of purple.  I am definitely going to look into buying more fabric dyes and having more fun with dying doily's. 


B. said...

Hi, Christy. It's Mom. Love the doilies. What a great idea to dye them. It will be fun to see what you will end up doing with them.

Flower Photography said...

Oh yes you KNOW how my room is looking ;o) The doilies look great :-)

Kymmie said...

I love before and after photos! There's nothing more inspiring. You have a wonderful creative space. And thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm now following, and will be back. xx