Saturday, March 5, 2011

Flea Market Finds - successes keep rolling in

I've had such good luck with my thrifting lately.  I've eased off on my visits which makes them more enjoyable.  I have been spending longer sorting through piles and digging through boxes.  I've also spent ALOT less money which is always a bonus.  I've been more particular about what I buy.  I refuse to pay more then it's worth and have learnt that there is no point in asking for a cheaper price - they will NEVER give it.  I read alot about other's thrifting adventures and am always ginormously jealous how HOW CHEAP your goodies are.  I have started to come to terms with the fact that all of the op shops in my area, are expensive.  I just have to hope that the day that the grandma dropped her doily supply off to the op shop, that the nice Salvo's lady decides to price them at a reasonable price - not at $3.50 each (go jump lady).  This week I found that exact stash of doily's that grandma dropped off and the nice Salvo's lady priced them at $1 each.  (that's the cheapest I've ever seen doily's go for around here).

So I bought a couple more...


... and I was talking to Wendy over at The Textured Leaf and she suggested a few ways to clean them and make them nice and bright and look new again.  They are currently hanging on the line drying.  I will do the same with all my existing doily's because they look 100% better!


Yes it's a mug stand, no I don't drink tea and coffee....  I heard this neat idea lately (my brain is a sift and I've ALREADY forgotten who's blog I saw it on.. SORRY!!) to use a mug holder to hang scissors, double sided tape... all those little bits and pieces you work with and lose easily, will now be found on my mug stand, which I intend on painting white or something more attractive.

I sifted through the patterns pile as i always do incase I find a cute vintage kids clothing pattern, this time I found this...


... I can't wait to have a play with these!  Adorable.

A couple of baby blankets - perfect for quilt backs maybe?


And then I found this mini cutting mat.  I have a decent sized one that I use on my craft desk and whenever I go somewhere else to sew or craft and need to take it, it's kind of awkward to transport.  So I found this smaller version to travel around with me.


And last but not least...


A queen quilt cover and pillowcase set.  Isn't it divine?  Will be perfect for my guest bedroom (if we ever have one haha).  Absolutely gorgeous and I'm almost certain it's never been used.  It has that lovely stiff new fabric feel to it.  SO pleased with this find.

Well that's it for this week.  Link in over at Sophie's!


Christy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some seriously great finds...it really is the luck of the draw isn't it? Some days I walk away with a bounce in my step, others I'm empty handed :)

Naturally Carol said...

I hope you share your doily cleaning secrets with all of us...please! Loving that georgeous sheet set too.

Photography said...

OH I heart them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Oh please do share the doily cleaning technique. That would help ever so much. Please and thank you! Great finds!

Laurie said...

Aw, yes, you've done well! My thrift shops are hit and miss with pricing -- sometimes I actually have to make disapproving noises out loud when I see how overpriced things can be! So, when you find that bargain it's so satisfying!

Lea said...

Hi Christy, you've got a great mix of finds this week. You can never have too many doilies I think!