After witnessing so much loss, sorrow, heartache & utter chaos I have decided to put into action a plan to help some of the little people out there. I guess as adults we can understand the concept of loss a little better. We know that in the end everything will be OK, which brings a sense of relief. I think this is a harder concept for a child to grasp. To them, they have just lost their home. Their bedroom. Their precious possessions. Their toys. What horrible childhood memories this flood has created for them. I hope to bring a little glimpse of joy back into their lives, and give them something to play with. Something to give them comfort and bring back some normality!
This is why I have decided to focus my efforts on making Softies for children, in hopes that we can put a smile on their face!
Here's how it works.
- Make a Softie, doll, animal... anything you like. There are plenty of free Softie patterns all over the internet. But to make your life easier, you can look here, here, here, here or here for some ideas. (These are a few I just found in Google now). It can be big, small, colourful, made of fabric, knitted.... it doesn't matter! As long as it's a toy!! It doesn't matter if you have never made a Softie before. Just keep it simple! Use the internet to give you more ideas, and tips. And if you're feeling brave why not draft your own Softie pattern (this is how I made the monster Softie above!)
- I ask that Softies be finished and sent to me by 31st March. I am flexible with that, but I know how busy life is and I find it easier to have a date to work towards. At this point in time I do not know exactly where the Softies will go but am working on that now and will let you know ASAP!
- If you want to join in please let me know!! I will put your in my sidebar as a participant so that everyone can see how wonderful you are!! Also if you are participating, please grab the button at the top of my sidebar and put it on your blog so we can spread the word. The more Softies, the more smiles on childrens faces!
- If you are able to make a Softie or two, I ask that you attach a small note/card to each toy that you send in for the recipient. Just a nice extra touch to let them know that a complete stranger cares about them.
- If you are unable to make a Softie, but have fabric/accessories you are willing to donate towards the cause please let me know.
There are tonnes of fabulous people out there doing similar things. Pop over to Retromummy's blog where Corrie is hosting "Quilts for Queensland". You can also go to Her Library Adventures, Sophie is donating money from her store sales towards the Premier's Flood Appeal. And then there is also the Online Auctions of all things crafty. Pop over to Toni's blog, Make it Perfect to see the master list of all the fantastic people auctioning off their goods for the Flood Appeal.
Thanks in advance!!